Poetic Island

Poetic Island
The wonders of Dominica

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Twin Falls- Day 11


Today I visited Trafalgar Falls in the village of Trafalgar; I prefer to call it Twin Falls. There are two reasons for preferring this name: (1) there are two waterfalls and I cannot recall any other place on island that has two falls, and (2) there is both cold and hot water for bathing.  Before taking a bus to the village, I stop by a local restaurant to get my favorite callaloo soup. The soup is made of a green leafy plant called callaloo, and it is filled with smoked chicken, dumplings, provisions, potatoes, herbs, and local spices.  If you are in Roseau on a Saturday, soups and broths are the main entrees. There is the red bean soup, pigtail soup, pumpkin soup, and a local favorite is fish broth.  So now that my tummy is full and ready for a river bath. 



The bus fare to the falls is $5EC and you must purchase an ecotourism site pass to access the falls, the fee is $13EC which $5US. The trail to Trafalgar Falls takes about 15 minutes and has locally made steps until you reach a built platform that gives you a great opportunity to take group photo or to get a great picture of both falls. 


However after you leave this platform, the rest of the path is full of rocks and requires the appropriate shoes so that you don’t slip and hurt yourself. I have known tourists to hurt themselves due to not having the right shoes and underestimated the rock’s surface texture.
I make it safe and sound and I immediately submerge myself into the cold bulging flow of the river. The coolness of the water brings youthfulness back to my skin and although I am cold my body feels more refreshed than ever before.  There are many pools of water to enjoy and at different heights some closer to the mouth of the fall which means more rock climbing however, the lower pools are moderate in rock climbing and so water proof shoes are recommended if this is your first time. 


There are rocks all over from very small rocks at the floor of the river pools to massive rocks at every location shaping the variety of swimming pools. I shouting “OH, OH”, because the water is really cold, but it feels so good so all I can do is allow some of the coldness to come out in my voice.  I take a break from the river by finding a nice rock to sit and enjoy the sun’s heat and look up and view the forestry of trees shielding the entrance of this oasis. Just another cool place to mediate and allow the stresses of life to leave you for a moment as you rejuvenate and feel mental clarity making you well both mentally and physically.  



Once my body is fully satisfied with the cold water, I know cross a few rocks and make me way to the warm sulphur pools. The warm pools have called me to be healed. I believe these pools should be called healing pools, because I do feel healing taking place.  I observed the way the plants and trees have organically made their homes in harmony with their rock friends and feels so surreal.  Luxury resorts spend millions of dollars to recreate  these warm pools and import plants and flowers to attempt to meet nature’s ultimate standard. I wish every person could experience the powers of these water.  I find a nice rock to rest my head on as I lay under the warm of the sulphur. I close my eyes and for a moment I feel eternal peace flowing all over my body.  My body is healed for the day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment