Poetic Island

Poetic Island
The wonders of Dominica

Monday, July 11, 2011

Escape to the Old World-Day 1

In route to Dominica, I decided to spend a few days in Barbados. In Barbados, I felt as if I had never really left America. There were many modern conveniences readily available for consumption. Everyone moving rapidly up and down the highways, and at night the lights from the island truly offered the visitor spectacular views.  It was a refreshing experience, but something was missing.  

When landing at the Melville Hall Airport in Dominica today, the void was finally filled. The beginning of a more authentic retreat began its formation from the first look at the massive green mountain tops gracefully positioned below the LIAT airplane making its way to land. It is green everywhere, and this makes landing at the Dominica airport one of the most memorable landing experiences. Unlike most  airports which are largely flat areas with concrete surrounding , this one is unique because it is surrounded by mountains, it sits literally on the edge of the Atlantic ocean, and is besides the Melville River which flows just a few short steps from the airport’s front door. 

 Every time I land on this mystical island, I feel like I have escape to the Old World. It is the place where what is modern is left behind and a return to the bare essentials in life is brought to the forefront.  There a few places on this earth where you can truly escape the New World and return to the beauty and simplicity of the Old World.  
On exiting the customs door of the airport, Casual of Augustine Taxi Services meets me to take me to my home. Casual proceeds to provide a scenic drive of the north portion of Dominica which included driving through the villages of Wesley, Calibishie, Portsmouth, Salisbury, and all the way to my village home Mero.  

The ride was slow and deliberate. The van was cruising at 15 mph. With the sounds of classical music in one ear and the sweet melodies of nature’s breeze in the other ear.  I was now home and the peace of mind that only nature can provide began to consume me thus slowly filling the missing piece needed for my retreat. As we drove through the narrow but inviting main road to Mero, Casual bunks his horn to say hello to people he knows along the way. He stops a few times to exchange kind words to a neighbor and gives dap to a few friends too. There is no rush to get to our destination. Just going with nature’s flow and allowing time for the soothing environment to really be absorbed mentally. 


The video below is just a quick glance at my ride to Mero.



 A 3 bedroom apartment awaits me in Mero and for the price of $500; I have my own private hideaway from the world for three weeks. Here are few  images of my  rental home.


 



The sea is directly in front of the doorstep and huge mountain tops are the perfect backdrop of this well-deserved eco-retreat. 














Before settling in for the afternoon, I make my way to the village of St Joseph to Yum Yum’s restaurant located in the heart of St. Joseph. Today’s lunch is stewed fish, rice and beans, and ground provisions plus my favorite passion fruit. This all natural meal is just what the doctor order to help revitalized the body.   Wow! What a great way to conclude my voyage to Dominica. I can’t wait to see what Day 2 of the Old World has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment