Poetic Island

Poetic Island
The wonders of Dominica

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Beach for Everyone-Day 7


In the late afternoon, I leisurely stroll down to Mero Beach. Life and energy are pulsating as young people and families dash in and out of the sea. The beach offers visitors and residents dark black volcanic sand that is being used to rub away all of my dead skin. It feels so much more therapeutic than the traditional white sand found on most beaches.The darkness of the sand feels so much more nourishing to my skin. So I will overly indulge in the healing powers of this volcanic sand. The waves motions are so gentle thus making it very easy to swim freely with no worry of a wave overtaking you.




The Beach front offers a few restaurants which are heavily populated by the locals of the village and of neighboring villagers wanting to be refreshed with their traditional Sunday sea bathe.
The beach is shared by a few simple homes which require little maintenance. These building structures may appear by the untrained eye as little shacks but those walls are home to those dwelling within them. They are inviting because, they tell me that all are welcomed here. There are no class divisions just a great open space that is to be shared by all those wishing to indulge in the pleasures that only the sea could provide. I was able to meet many people on the roadside and everyone greeted me with a welcoming smile and a "Good Afternoon".




Everyone is welcome to Mero Beach, no class distinctions nor high rise hotels to separate you from enjoying the sea. I actually feel like I am the only tourist on the beach. The reason is because this does not feel like a public beach, but rather a community beach. The Mero "community" beach is an integral part of the lives of everyone in the village. I can feel the history that resonates from the black sand bank. I feel privileged that I was able to enjoy a recharging sea bathe at a beach in which everyone is welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment