Poetic Island

Poetic Island
The wonders of Dominica

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Much to Do in Roseau- Day 2

Around 5:30 am, the sun’s radiant rays awaken me to another day in Dominica. I will be making my way to Roseau, the capital of Dominica to exchange my US dollars for Eastern Caribbean dollars, purchase some groceries, and visit some old friends.  As I make my way to the bus stop on the main road, my neighbor Philip asks me what my destination is today. I reply, “Roseau”. He offers to give me a lift to town.  During our drive, he relates his life in London. Philip at the age of 18 left Dominica on a boat to London which was at that time the only available transportation. He worked for 33 years and retired back to his home country Dominica. He has been back for 18 years now and is enjoying every moment of it with his wife. He has plenty of mangos and avocados growing in his yard and invites me to come back to pick as many as I like. I indeed intend to take him up on his offer. That’s Dominica hospitality for you!
I brought some sandals from America with me that had a broken strap. Usually in America, we throw away shoes when a strap is broken due to the high cost to get it fixed. But in Dominica, it is very economical to get your shoes repaired. I like to visit Franks Shoe Repair. He is located right on King George the V Street and for $4EC about $1.50US my strap was repaired and my shoes are ready to be worn again. So if you have a shoe you want repaired or something happens to your shoes while you are on a visit then Frank’s the place to get it fixed quick and fast.

On making it to town, I take a moment to attend the Caribbean Spa & Wellness Association Symposium taking place at the Ft. Young Hotel. The organization just received $80 million dollars to help brand the Caribbean as a Health & Wellness Destination.  The presentations were very enlightening as the President of the Thai Spa Association discussed how they were able to brand Thailand at a Spa & Wellness Destination. Also the up and coming Six Senses Resort & Spa which will be coming in 2014 in Woodford hill, Dominica was discussed. Some of the reasons why Six Senses choose Dominica are unspoiled island, secluded natural site, eco-friendly environment, and has significant further potential. The spa will be 12,000 square feet. Personally, I plan on being one of their first guests as I am an avid spa goer. Spa’s promote overall good health by focusing on revitalizing our greatest asset, our body.  There are many opportunities awaiting Dominica when people start to learn of the many healing powers that this country naturally possesses.  The Symposium only helped to further confirmed my vision for Dominica. Representatives throughout the Caribbean gathered to be informed as to what steps need to be taken to move the Caribbean forward to being a Health & Wellness Destination.


In the afternoon, the Market is where fresh produce can be purchased.  I love buying fresh produce from farmers.  And every Saturday at about 6 am the whole Market is filled to capacity as villages make their way from all parts of the island to purchase and sell their fresh produce. It is also a great time to negotiate pricing as there is more competition and thus more options for your dollar. Avocados, papaya, watermelon, cabbage, bell peppers, hot peppers, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, tamarind, passion fruit, onions, bananas, and much more.  I have chosen to buy my produce from Merlyn, Francis, and Claudette today located at Dexia #6. They have taken the extra time to help me select the best fruits and vegetables for the day and everything is done with a genuine smile.
One thing Dominica has plenty of is fruit. Fruit juices are available at almost every restaurant. But there is even a juice man that makes fresh juice each and every day. His name is Simon “the Juice Man”. He sells a 12 oz. cup for $5EC which is about $2US. And you can even get at 32 oz. for $14EC which is about $5 - $6 US. Simon also was a chief in Paris and makes these vegetable filled patties. The patty with the passion fruit juice is a great snack before dinner, tonight.  


 
I am going to catch a bus home now and prepare my evening meal and enjoy my well -deserved sleep from my day in Roseau. Let the sun sets on an ending of a  another extraordinary day.

No comments:

Post a Comment