Poetic Island

Poetic Island
The wonders of Dominica

Thursday, July 14, 2011

8 Miles towards Wellness-Day 3

This morning the rains are at work cleansing and refreshing the west coast of Dominica. I left rain in Mero to meet rain in Roseau, but the rain always brings a fresh cool breeze that is always welcomed by the peoples of the land. So the rain gives me another reason to rest in the softness of my bed. The rushing winds provided by the rain fill my home and create the ideal Caribbean temperature. In Roseau, I desire a simple but filling lunch. So Pearl's Cuisine is the ideal choice today. I love their soups with lightly buttered toasted bread. Pumpkin soup is the main course with a fresh fruit salad for the price of $18.50EC which is about $7USD. They offer high quality food at very economical prices.

In the afternoon, my friend Roy has invited me to exercise with him. I agree thinking to myself that we will be taking a short 45 minute walk in one of the nearby villages. So he drives us the gate of the Botanical Gardens, and parks his vehicle. He gets out and stretches for a few minutes and then begins walking. While trying to catch up behind him, I shout, " Where are we going?". He replies,"Trafalgar". I say,"You must be crazy". He says, "Stop being so lazy. Let's go!" I know that Trafalgar is 4 miles from Roseau and it is not a straight nor flat road to that village. But I keep walking thinking to myself that he is not really serious about walking all the way there. So we walk, and  walk, and walk, and walk, and did I say walk. I am trying to keep up with him, but his power walk is longer than mine. But I don't stop nor do I stop to take a rest. On the way, the breeze of the evening is offering a relief to my overheating body. I hear the birds soothing me mentally as I keep moving towards the goal. I keep my own pace and try to keep my mind focused on catching up with Roy.
We finally make it to the last steep hill before the village of Trafalgar. Roy asks, "Do you think you can make it up this last hill?". I say, "I can try". And that's just what I do, but this hill is trying to stop me. There are pains in every part of my body as I walk slow but with great energy to make it to the top. You can do it, keep moving are the words that keep motivating me to keep making progress. Finally, the goal is reached. Breathing hard and holding my hands above my head to help stabilize my body. I can't believe that I made it. It made me realize how we as humans often doubt our true potential, but we need friends to encourage us to keep pushing on even when it hurts. After a few minutes at the top, the pain is no longer there. I am ready now to race down the hill. So we start running, and for the first time I am in front  of Roy and it feels good. It's like I just got a second wind from out of nowhere. We spot a source of fresh water coming out of a rock along the main road. We are truly refreshed as the water rejuvenates our weary bodies.   After 1 hour and 45 minutes, we make it back to the gate of the Botanical Gardens and my clothing is literally quenched in sweat. I made it ..I powered walked the whole 8 miles and the positive feelings gain from the experience are  encouraging to go further the next time.

Only in Dominica can you exercise in the mist of high mountains, rushing rivers, and truly fresh air. I feel like a new woman today and I look forward to doing it again real soon.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment