Poetic Island

Poetic Island
The wonders of Dominica

Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Dominica-Day 9

In Dominica, listening to radio discussions provide a vital source of information about current events, politics, and   local news. One of the most highly listened to programs is the morning radio talk show "Hot Seat" hosted by Matt Pelter. Most Dominicans start their day with the latest hot topic and the program allows listeners to call in and provide their opinions.  This morning VF Inc and I worked to promote their upcoming 5-Day Youth Series entitled : "Empowering our Youth for a Better Tomorrow".   This series is facilitated by  professionals who are volunteering their time and knowledge to help share their insight on the keys and guiding principals needed to have a satisfying life. I throughly enjoy playing a part in developing and mentoring the minds of tomorrow; there is no greater joy than when you give back your expertise to someone who may be in need. 

For lunch today, I venture to a new barbeque  (BBQ) spot in Roseau called Jerk International Restaurant. I ordered the jerk chicken and it was really spicy. Jerk International  offers the visitor an international experience by creating a world class eating environment with gourmet cuisine. 


Later in the afternoon, a whale watching tour is scheduled to observe a truly extraordinary experience. Anytime, I step on a boat the spirit of freedom possesses by body immediately. There are no constraints around and you can turn in whatever direction you desire. There are of course coast guard boundaries and international maritime laws that must be obeyed, but overall the sea holds some important keys when it comes to freedom. 


The tour is to depart from Castle Comfort Lodges where Dive Dominica has its main office. As we leave the Dominican shore to venture some 5 to 6 miles to sea in search of spotting a whale, a overwhelming sense of serenity passes over me. A voice speaks to me through the racing winds, and tells me that this is my Dominica. I feel the urge to reach out and touch its high mountain tops so as to nurture them to grow even taller for all of the Caribbean to see. The image that sits in front of me is beyond words to me, it is more than beautiful, or  spectacular, or wonderful. It is what I wish many others in the world could see and then feel the natural power of this magical place.   



For hours I could sail on a boat around the island and spend years admiring her extraordinary body. I could imagine freedom as its prime and see the delightful smiles of the many people that have flocked to her natural healing power.  Nature speaks here freely with complete power and extreme passion. The energy allows me to float from my current state of mind to a higher spiritual creature. I know begin to understand the words of Stephen Covey, when he says that we are human beings having a spiritual experience. While on the ocean, I am in tune more with my spiritual being because there are less distractions used to focus on the physical needs as oppose to the spiritual needs. I am in a daze as we race across the waves. With the assistance of an underwater microphone, the captain is able to pinpoint the sounds of whales talking. After 2 hours of searching several locations, we finally have spotted a sperm whale. Everyone is excited and they quickly pull out their cameras to catch a glimpse of the massive sperm whale. I, however am happy to just to be here observing this magnificent being. This is one of the most amazing experiences of this day.                                      

Rudy a professional underwater photography relates his experience in Dominica. 
                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment